Thursday, June 10, 2010

Bad move?

Last night I played in an $8.00 buy-in no limit tournament. There were about 80+ players. Because of the low buy-in amout, everyone started out with only 800 in chips. It was re-buy tourney.

To the point... I had about 1,100 in chips (really short stack) and in the big blind. I was dealt 77 and everyone folded to the small blind. He limps in (blinds were at 200/400). Flop comes 6 3 Q rainbow. He checks, I go all in. He calls. He turns over 83h. The turn is an 8 and the river was a 6. He has 8's and 6's which beat my 7's and 6's knocking me out of the tourney.

I think that if I had pushed all in pre-flop I might have took the blinds right then. Or maybe he would think that I'm trying to steal his blind and call anyways.

Either way, I think, he would have called and I was done. Its situations like these that make poker such an interesting game. Because you will never know what could have happened if you had made a different choice.

1 comment:

  1. Your flop shove was fine, since the SB limping could be literally Any Two Cards (but more likely a couple of high cards, probably not even a low pocket pair).

    However, your NON-SHOVE in BB was not... when the SB open-limps into your BB he is either very weak or extremely strong (AA, KK) so easily 90% of the time he would fold to your shove, in fact due to your stack size YOU should be shoving Any Two Cards here (although you didn't say the SB's stack size).

    In summary, pocket 77 is a huge hand when HU vs. a basically random hand, and when you have only 3bb you should be willing to shove preflop any pocket pair, any ace, and any 2 broadway cards -- especially when there are no raises before you.

    ReplyDelete